Question about HP J4680 Office Jet All-In-One Printer
Getting perfect guidelines for the Printer Setup is quite difficult. If you are facing any issues regarding Printer Setup like Wireless Printer Setup, Network Printer Setup etc. Just give us a call at our toll free number.
Posted on Jul 29, 2019
I am pretty sure the HP J4680 is wireless only, at least I can't find any Ethernet ports on HP Officejet J4680 that are obvious. So first make sure the blue antennae light is on on the left side of the HP panel. If it is not on press the button that says 802.11g and the blue light will light up indicating that the wireless is now enabled. Check now and see if you can see the printer on the network. Power cycle the printer and router and then see if the printer shows up. If you think it is now connected you can go to step 9) below. if not go to the next step
If the above didn't work try and change the wireless settings from the front panel of the HP Officejet J4680. Press the setup button (the wrench) on the front panel, then scroll till you see Wireless Menu and press OK, then scroll till you see Setup Wizard and press OK. The printer will search for all the wireless routers it can find. It should display your wireless router SSID, this is the name of the router. When it shows you the name of the router press OK and it will display WPA Passphrase or WEP passphrase (depends on the security you have on your wireless router). If you see the SSID of your router this is a good thing, because it indicates that the wireless is working and just needs to be configured. Now type in the passphrase exactly (the same passphrase you use to connect your PC or Mac to the wireless internet) and press OK. It should connect to the wireless router. If this doesn't work, unplug and plug in the wireless router and the printer and try it again. If you think it is now connected to the wireless, then go to step 9) below. If the above doesn't work you can keep trying it but I haven't had much luck with the front panel method.
If the above fails to work, the next method to try is to connect a PC or Mac directly to the HP Officejet using the AD-HOC wireless method. I can't figure out how to get the HP printer into this AD-HOC mode unless I do a wireless reset of the values in the printer. There is prob a way to do this without a reset, but I couldn't get it. I would recommend you read through all the steps below before you do this. It will wipe out what you currently have setup in your printer. But these are the steps I just went through and I got my printer to connect to my MAC and work.
1) You might not have to do this step, but if all else fails reset the HP Officejet J4680 network by pressing the setup button (the wrench) go to Wireless Menu and Press OK then go to Reset Wireless select YES and press OK. If that doesn't work then there is another reset that I found in the setup menu (the wrench) under Tools and then Restore Defaults. I wound up doing both resets on my Officejet J4680
2) Power the HP Officejet off and on for good luck (again optional but might help).
3) Make sure the the wireless on the printer is enabled by pushing the button on the left side front under the 802.11g so that the blue wireless light turns on. (again optional, but make sure the blue antennae light is on)
4) Connect to the HP Officejet J4680 wireless printer directly from the MAC (this is pretty neat stuff) click on the Airport icon at the top bar of your mac screen, if you see the hpsetup listed then click on it, if it is not listed then click on join other network and type in hpsetup and click Join. This will join the mac to the Ad Hoc HPSetup network and you can now setup the printer from the mac!
5) Important: Print a network settings report on the HP Officejet by pressing the setup button again (the wrench) go to Print Report and press OK, go to Network config and press OK. If you try and print this before you connect (step 4) you will not get the info you need in the report, so connect first from Mac to HP then print this report.
6) fire up safari or Firefox or chrome browser on the Mac and type in the URL that is listed on the report you just printed out. It starts with http:// type in the http:// and the 4 numbers all together with no spaces into the address bar in your browser and press return.
7) you are now connected to the HP Officejet J4680 via the web browser interface. Click on Networking, then Advanced, click the infrastructure tab, type in the SSID of the wireless router (i.e. the name of the router you see when you try and wirelessly connect from a computer) and fill in the passphrase info for your router, type it again to confirm, then click apply.
8) The printer will change the connection from the Ad-Hoc network to the SSID of the wireless router. So you have to connect to the wireless printer, to do this on a MAC, you go to the top row of the mac and click the Airport icon, select the wireless router.
9) Now go to the spotlight icon (far right top row on the mac) type Print and then click on Print & FAX, if your printer is not listed, then click the + and add it. You should be able to check the supply levels on the HP, if you see the current time below the supply levels you are successfully connected. On a Windows system, you would go to control panel, then Printers and add your printer if it is not listed.
Also, below is a good video with even more detailed info:
10) Officejet J4680 setup via the mac using this very thorough guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjd1ZqJ89N4
Posted on Jan 13, 2011
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 26, 2018 | HP Office Equipment & Supplies
Dec 15, 2013 | HP DeskJet 450wbt InkJet Printer
Jan 14, 2013 | Canon PIXMA MG4220 Wireless InkJet MFC /...
Aug 21, 2011 | Lexmark Pro901 All-In-One Inkjet Printer
May 03, 2011 | Lexmark X4690 Wireless InkJet Printer
Dec 22, 2010 | Compaq Computers & Internet
Dec 16, 2010 | HP Color LaserJet 3500 Printer
Nov 02, 2009 | Epson Stylus NX400 InkJet Printer
Oct 02, 2009 | HP Office Equipment & Supplies
Apr 15, 2009 | Brother HL-4070CDW Printer
653 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: