I noticed that this problem came up as a chat window, but I wasn't fast enough to get in before someone beat me. I take it he didn't have the user's manual for the Yamaha HTR 6130 in front of him the way I do.
To troubleshoot using the optical audio cable from your ps3 to your Yamaha AV receiver, we will confirm that the PS3 is piping out digital audio signal, check the connection to the AV receiver, then program the AV receiver to look at the correct optical input source.
First, have your ps3 running and look at the end of the optical cable. It should be glowing red. If it's not, unplug it from the PS3 and plug it in again. If it's still not glowing red, go into the setup of the PS3 and select "Settings", then "Sound Settings", then "Audio Output Settings". Select "Digital Out (Optical)". In fact, even it was glowing red, go ahead and run through the PS3 optical out configuration just to make sure its done properly. This is also where you choose 2 Channel or 5.1 Channel sound. 7.1 channel sound is not an option for digital optical out, only for HDMI audio out. So you want to choose 5.1 channel sound.
Okay now we know the cable and the PS3 are ready to go. Now plug that cord back into the Yahama AV receiver. Let's look at your back panel.
Please note that you have 3 digital inputs. #1 is a pcm/RCA-style connection at the bottom. #2 & #3 are the optical inputs. #3 is at the top and by default is assigned to CD, #2 is the middle connection and by default is assigned to DTV/CBL. We are going to change those default assignments as our last step.
Choose either the top or middle connection and plug your digital optical cable into it. Remember which one you chose because in the next step we will assigning that digital optical input channel to the ps3 video mode. Let's assume you used the top connection, digital input #3.
Now we program the amp. To do this you need to review which 'Source' you set the amp to when you use the PS3. For example, you may have plugged the PS3's video connection into the Yamaha or you may have plugged it directly into the TV. If the video is plugged into the Yamaha's DVD, DTV/CBL, or DVR video inputs, then we need to program the Yamaha to use digital input #3 (for the top optical connection) for the same video input. If the video signal of the PS3 goes straight to the TV, then it doesn't matter which 'Source' we choose to assign digital optical #3 to, as long as it is an unused one.
- Press AMP on the remote control.
- Press MENU. 'Basic Setup' appears in the front display panel.
- Use the arrows to change that to 'Manual Setup'.
- Press ENTER. '1 Sound Menu' appears on the front display panel.
- Use the arrows to change that to '2 Input Menu'.
- Press ENTER. 'A) Input Assign' appears on the front display panel.
- Press ENTER. 'IN (1)' appears on the front display panel.
- Use the arrows to change that to 'IN (3)' if you plugged the cable into the top optical connection, or 'IN (2)' if you plugged the cable into the middle optical connection.
- Press ENTER.
- Now select the 'Input' or 'Source' that corresponds to your PS3's video signal, or an unused source if the PS3 goes directly to the TV. I suggest 'V-AUX' if your PS3 goes direct to the TV, otherwise use the same source at the PS3. Highlight your choice and press ENTER.
That's it your done & you have big, optically digital sound from your PS3. Enjoy.