Question about Computers & Internet
1) Open your Internet Explorer program or any other web browser.
2) In the Address Box at the top of the browser window, type http://192.168.1.1 and then click on Go, or press the Enter key on the keyboard. A window should appear in the center of the screen asking for your User Name and Password.
3) Leave the User Name box blank. Type admin in the Password box, then click on OK, or press the Enter key on the keyboard.
Note: To change the password from admin to a more secure password:
1) Click on the Administration tab when the Linksys Wireless Router Setup page appears.
2) Type the password you want in the Password:box next to Local Router Access.
3) Click on Save Settings.
4) Be sure you remember or write down this password and the encryption password in step #13 below.
4) The Linksys Wireless Router Setup page should appear.
5) Click on the Wireless tab.
6) Because some of your neighbors may also have Linksys Wireless Routers and not know how to change the SSID (the SSID is the name of your wireless network.), change your SSID from the default name, which is linksys, to something unique, such as johnsnet or myhomenet.
Caution: Do not use spaces or weird characters, such as $ % ^ & * #, in the SSID.
7) Change the Wireless Channel to Channel 1 - 2.412 GHz. (The second part of the channel is the frequency: 2.412 Gigahertz.) You can also use 11 - 2.462 GHz. Most people use Channel 6 because this is the default Channel, so you don't want to select Channel 6; use Channel 1 or 11 instead.
Tip: Unfortunately, cordless [landline] phones, Bluetooth devices and microwave ovens may use the same frequencies as your wireless networking equipment. If you suspect that these appliances are interfering with your wireless network, try experimenting with different channels.
8) Click on Save Settings.
9) Click on Continue.
10) Click on Wireless Security.
11) Under Security Mode, click on the Down Arrow and then select WPA-Personal, unless you have an older wireless network card in your laptop which can't useWPA, in which case, click on this for instructions on setting the Security Mode to WEP.
12) Under Encryption:or WPA Algorithms:, set this to TKIP.
13) Under WPA Shared Key, type in your desired password, which should be at least 8 characters long, but not contain any spaces or weird characters, such as $ % ^ & * #.
14) Click on the Save Settings button to save the settings.
15) Click on the Continue button.
Posted on Sep 08, 2011
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 15, 2016 | Computers & Internet
Jan 10, 2011 | Fujitsu Siemens AMILO Pro V2010 Notebook
Dec 31, 2009 | Belkin (F5D7231-4) Wireless Router
Oct 14, 2009 | Computers & Internet
Sep 17, 2009 | D-Link AirPlus DWL-G630 802.11g/b Wireless...
Jan 24, 2009 | Linksys Wireless-G WRT54G Router
Sep 16, 2008 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
Nov 20, 2007 | D-Link DIR-625 (790069292637) Wireless...
74 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!