12/640 PS wont feed from tray
I found the owners manual for your model, and it has detailed explanations of how to turn off the printing of the Startup page:
This is where the owners manual is available online in .pdf format, at this URL:
Startup Page Info From your Owners Manual:
(Yes, I've been reading the Manual for your printer. I have no life. :P )
From page 25 of the manual:
"The printer takes a minute or two to warm up, and then it automatically prints a startup page. It prints the startup page every time you restart unless you turn the startup page off using either the Apple Printer Utility for the Mac OS or the Apple LaserWriter Utility for Windows. See Appendix A for details on these utilities."
From page 249 of the manual:
"Appendix A - Setting the Printer Default Settings"
"Though the printer itself has no control panel, you can configure it by using programs on computers connected to the printer:
- On Mac OS?based computers, use the Apple Printer Utility and the desktop printer?s setup function."
So the answer is YES, you CAN setup the printer to not print the test page, but you have to use the setup utility on your computer to do so.
Opening the Apple Printer Utility
(From page 251)
"The Apple Printer Utility has two windows: the Printer Selector window, which is similar to the Chooser, and the printer features window, which you use to view or change the printer?s settings."
1. Double-click the Apple Printer Utility.
- The Installer puts the Apple Printer Utility in the Apple LaserWriter Software folder. You can move it wherever you like.
2. In the Printer Selector window, select and open the printer you want.
- If the network has zones, click the zone where the printer is located.
- Click the name of the printer you want.
3. Click Open Printer.
- The printer feature window appears with the Printer Information category displayed.
4. To view or change settings under a category, click the arrow beside the category name to open the category and display its information and options.
- Additional options may appear that you can also open and work with. When you are finished changing options in a particular category, you can click the arrow again to collapse the options.
(NOTE: The option you want is "Startup Page".)
5. After viewing the information and making changes, click the Send button to send your changes to the printer.
6. Click the Close box to close the window.
Turning the startup page on or off
(From page 257)
"The LaserWriter 12/640 PS normally prints a sample page when you turn the printer on. This page shows the printer?s name, the total number of pages printed, the amount of memory, installed options, and communication settings. You can turn this feature off if you wish.
1. Open the Startup Page category.
- The Startup Page panel appears.
2. Click the checkbox to turn the startup page on or off.
- When an X appears in the checkbox, the printer is set to print the startup page.
3. Click Send to send the startup page setting to the printer.
That should remove the default printing of your startup page.
HOWEVER, there is another possibility to affect a repair to your problem...
As the paper-feed rollers get older, the rubber on the rollers gets slick and won't grip the paper anymore. Try buffing the rubber rollers with some fine sandpaper and see if that allows the machine to pick the paper up once again. If this is your problem, then you might make the lower-feed paper tray work again.
Hope this helps, but let us know if you need more information to solve this problem. ;)
Aug 07, 2007 |
Apple LaserWriter 12/640 PS Plus Printer