Question about KitchenAid Food Mixers
When you said "the speed switch doesn't want to stay in the off position", you meant to
say "the speed switch in the OFF position does not turn OFF the mixer", or "the speed
switch physically cannot be moved to the OFF position"?
In any case, try to adjust the mixer speeds.
Obtain a copy of the K45SS Repair Part List from Kitchenaid.com.
Remove the screw holding the End Cover and locate the three screws from the Control Plate.
All three (2 top left and right, and 1 bottom) must be adjusted.
1. Loosen the lock nuts enough & Turn the 2 top screws clockwise until they cannot be turned
anymore. Leave the bottom screw alone for now.
2. Use a dab of white paint or paper whiteout to mark the positions of the Phillips screws.
3. Plug in your mixer and Set the speed selector to "Stir".
4. Turn each top screw One full turn couterclockwise (alternating between Left and Right)
Keep making one full turn at the time (for both left and right) until the motor starts running.
5. Put your hand near the Agitator shaft and allow it to brush your finger slightly. Use your
watch or clock and start counting the number of times the shaft touches your finger in
60 seconds. The correct count should be 60 RPM (Rounds Per Minute). If it is less
or more than 60, give each screw 1/4 turn counterclockwise or clockwise and start counting
again. Now tighten both lock nuts.
6. Set the speed selector to "6" and turn the bottom screw either clockwise or counterclockwise
to achieve a speed of 180 RPM.
For your reference, the planetary RPM's for the 5-qt. tilt-head Artisan Stand Mixer are as follows:
Stir speed - 60
Speed 2 - 95
Speed 4 - 135
Speed 6 - 180
Speed 8 - 225
Speed 10 - 280
Posted on Jul 21, 2011
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 06, 2016 | KitchenAid Kitchen Aid K45SSWH Classic...
Jun 09, 2013 | KitchenAid K45SS Classic Stand Mixer
Nov 17, 2012 | KitchenAid KITCHEN AID 5 Quart Artisan...
Sep 20, 2012 | KitchenAid K45SS Classic Stand Mixer
Nov 30, 2011 | KitchenAid K45SS Classic Stand Mixer
Mar 31, 2010 | KitchenAid K45SS Classic Stand Mixer
Jul 20, 2009 | KitchenAid K45SS Classic Stand Mixer
250 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: