Light Boating - Recent Questions, Troubleshooting & Support
An ozark trolling motor
It is generally difficult to find replacement parts. You might try e-bay or Amazon, but by time you buy the parts and make the repairs, you could have bought a new trolling motor.
on Sep 21, 2019
Boat motor has no power
boating season is coming again. if your boat motor will not start and it has a shifter box here is your most common problems.
1. the shifter cable has stretched and the neutral position on your shifter doesn't match the neutral position on the motor. this will make the boat think it's in gear which will keep your motor from starting. adjust your cable so it lines up again or replace it if it's too far out.
2. steering is stiff... always grease the rear grease nippers on your motor.. second get a cable sprayer attachment and a can of wd40 .. the attachment slips over the end of the cable and forces the wd40 down the casing.. spray until the fluid coming out of the far end comes out clean . then rehook the cable. do this for your shifter and acceleration cable if you have the duel type. bike shops carry the required tool.
3. replace the leg oil and if it is a 4 stroke the engine oil.
4. replace the spark plugs and carry a spare set +tools required to remove them.
5. check your batteries and make sure they are topped up. a small 40 watt trickle charger is an excellent addition. while your there check to see if the connections are tight and clean on both the motor end and the engine end.
check your bilge pump to ensure it is working.
6 make sure you carry a few spare fuses... I keep a package of mixed on board.
7. make sure your water pump is spitting out a good steady stream. you do this by getting water muffs and supplying water from a garden hose. once water is present and running passed the muffs at a good rate fire up the engine. the stream coming out in the back below the motor should be as steady as a fellow having a bathroom break. if it isn't get that pump replaced.. your motor is expensive.
8. put some spare fuel in a container on your boat.. I lost count of all the guys I towed back.
9. always carry a manual bailer , paddle, whistle , and flashlight with fresh batteries. and let some one know where your going and when you expect to be back.( I also carry dry clothes in a sealed vacuum bag , rain gear and most important 2 jugs of freshwater)
have fun and be respectful.
on Apr 06, 2019 | Light Outboard Motor Boat Bass...
Not finding what you are looking for?